Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Sew News Palmer Pullover

 

Hello everyone!

I am so excited to be back with a review of my FIRST finished garment of 2021!  

I wasn't sure what direction I was going to be going in when the year started.  I usually have a clear vision and plan, but this year I have left a lot of things open for me to jump into.  So, when I discovered the Sew News Palmer Pullover Sew Along, I knew it was something I wanted to try right off the bat.

I couldn't find a line drawing to reference, but here is the description from the Sewalong:

 "Sewn up in fleece or French terry, the Palmer Pullover hoodie is cozy, chic and sized to fit both men and women. Stitch one in solid or with tonal color blocking; pattern pieces for both options are provided. The design also features an easy-access contrast zipper and placket, a split hem seam finish, optional kangaroo pocket and your choice of a collar or hooded variation. A roomy design means it works for both men and women."



I loved the colorblocking of the top, the zipper, and the hood.  It looked so easy and relaxing to wear--something for lounging around the house, or running errands too.  My finished version did not disappoint:


I chose a fleece from Joann Fabrics a couple of months ago when they had their HUGE fleece sale.  I bought some in black, black plaid, pink, and pink plaid.  I already had plans for the pink plaid (I hope to show you soon), but I still had the black sitting in my closet.  When I read that it was one of the recommended fabric choices, I knew right away I would use it.

I made a size S, graded to M, and while the overall ease works wonderfully, I could have used more room for the hood.  I guess my head is bigger than I thought, and while my hood is aesthetically pleasing, I cannot fit it over my head, lol!  If I make this again, I will definitely add more width to accommodate my noggin.  There is some stretch perpendicular to the selvedge (2 way stretch fabric), but not enough to create a nice fit.  Keep this in mind if you choose the hood version.

Let me talk a bit about the sew along.  It runs up until 2/01/21.  So, you can download the pattern for FREE and follow along with the video links.  There are five lessons that average about 7-8 minutes each.  That means not every single step is included in the video footage, but there is enough to follow along with, and you can always refer to the instructions if you are a total beginner.  

For example, there is not detailed information on how the instructor constructed the facing that goes over the placket on the inside of the pullover.  It is not difficult, but this was an area I looked back at the instructions to double-check before I moved on.  The overall construction is BEAUTIFUL!  I really love nice insides, and this pullover is one of those you would feel good about wearing inside out, lol!! I always strive to create a nice inside, but let's be real, sometimes I just want to finish and end up with bright white serger thread inside a dark blue garment (yep, I did that recently).  But this type of construction made me smile:


For the placket facing on the inside of the garment, it gets attached via the shoulder seam.  You then have the option to topstitch the facing by following the guide of an included pattern piece.  I went back and forth about whether or not I wanted to topstitch it down, but decided to go for it in the end.  I love it so much!! It just makes it look a bit more professional, and it keeps that facing in place, which is 100% what I wanted, and what I hate about facings sometime (slippage and flippage).

 

So you can see the way it all comes together nicely.  Now, a word about the plaid fleece I used...Originally, I wanted the upper portion of the sleeve to be plaid as well.  I had this vision of it in my head, so I watched a few videos about plaid matching and thought "Sure, I can do this!"  The side seams match fine, but I could not get the sleeves to look decent enough, and I didn't have any more fabric left to try!!!  Since I wasn't going to purchase more fabric, I created a make it work moment and used the extra black fleece I had instead.  I will re-visit plaid matching more this year as I grow a bit more.  I am pretty pleased about what I did accomplish, though.

Additional info about this pattern:
  • there is an optional kangaroo pocket (Woo hoo!!)
  • You can choose from a colorblocked sleeve or a regular sleeve
  • there is also a collar version
  • I think a version in French Terry would be pretty
For the zipper insertion, there was a tape method introduced that I tried successfully.  That is one thing I love about video instruction--you get to see different methods for achieving results.  I have never heard of using tape, but tried it and was pleased.  It is good to see what is out there so that you can personally decide your go-to for different skills.

Overall, this is a great sewalong, and a WONDERFUL pattern that I can see sewing again.  In fact I have already worn this top twice! It is an easy closet go-to.  If you are interested, check out the Sew News Sewalong to sign up before it ends (2/01/21).  I have no affiliation with them, I am just happy to have participated!

Links to fabrics I used (if you are curious):*
*I am going to try linking fabrics I use where I can, though I sew mainly from my stash, so I cannot promise I will remember each time.



Stay sew-filled!










11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Love that black & plaid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoyed working with this combination!

      Delete
  2. Your hoodie is so nicely done. I love the mix of fabrics, and I really admire how pretty it looks on the inside. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! This was a fun one to make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute, cute, cute! And nice and cozy in the fleece!

    Your construction is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It has gotten so much wear since I made it!

      Delete
  5. This is so cute! I love the black/white plaid with the solid color. Looks great and I can see why you would wear this often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Linda! It has definitely been my go-to!

      Delete

Let me know what you think!