Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Sewing Plans for 2020



Hello everyone!

Who's ready for 2020???

I am! I am!

Though 2019 started off well, I slowly ran out of steam. While I continued to sew in my real life, I have certainly neglected this blogging space.  For 2020 I am looking forward to sewing and blogging again!

Once I made the decision to return to blogging,  I started to brainstorm ideas for the upcoming year. I can definitely say I had SO many ideas!  It took a bit of thoughtful consideration in order to hone the ideas down into something more workable, and that is exactly what I want to share with you today!

To recap some, last year I decided to participate in the Sew Your View challenge on Instagram.  I successfully completed approximately 4 or 5 garments, then never picked it up from there.  It wasn't because I didn't like the challenge.  There were a few garments here or there that weren't my favorite, but a lot of the pattern choices surprised me, and were relatively easy to sew too.  I will definitely sew along again for 2020, but probably NOT every month.  

A sample of my Sew Your View creations

So what have I decided to do?

First, and foremost (and I never thought I would say this), I will be continuing my RTW Fast for the THIRD year in a row!!!!!  I must be crazy, but it only seemed natural to keep going.  I think finishing two pairs of jeans and two pairs of shorts had a lot to do with my decision.  I feel a lot better about fitting pants, and I am still in the stage where I prefer the things I sew on my frame, instead of the things that I purchased years ago.

My staple Ginger Jeans pattern
That said, I really needed a plan for the year.  I mean, a REAL plan!  I didn't want to go another year of trying to figure out my wardrobe.  And I didn't want to waste any more time--I was ready to put the pieces together now! 

Well, thanks to Alison Lumbatis at Get Your Pretty On, I have found a "cheat" sheet!  Alison is a personal stylist who posts style challenges with each season.  These usually occur in real time and are loads of fun.  I have done one in the past, but never considered sewing the items of clothing she recommends because the turnaround time once you receive the shopping list is very short (three weeks).  However, Alison also has some challenges that are not time sensitive, particularly her "Closet Staples Capsule Wardrobe Builder."  

This is a yearly challenge, so all four seasons are included, as well as a Master shopping list with photos and outfit combinations.  Do I need to tell you that this was music to my ears?!! I purchased this package a week or so ago and have started sewing through the recommended Winter pieces that I do not already have.  I can't wait to finish and start putting everything together!!  

So, my first goal is to continue sewing all my own clothing (except bras, underwear, socks, and accessories) with the yearly wardrobe plan from Alison Lumbatis as my guide.  

My second goal is my own personal challenge.  I have chosen to do the "Make Nine" challenge, except spun in a different way.  Usually this challenge is done to inspire yourself to sew nine items.  Well, I have exceeded that number of garments for the last couple of years so I never took part in this before.  However, I noticed a few sewists (Sew Natural Dane?) that used this challenge in a brand new way to choose "goal" items that they always wanted to sew for the year.  You know, things outside of their normal comfort zone of sewing that they might not otherwise do.

So, I would like to show you my Make Nine Outerwear plan...



If you have followed along with me over the years, then you know I have sewn a jacket or two here and there.  I am still proud of my Kelly Anorak, and my corduroy Mimi G Moto jacket is one I get excited about wearing.  While outerwear takes time, I love that all that time you put in translates into a garment you can wear over and over!  So, why not create nine Outerwear pieces for the year???  It is certainly something I have never done, and once finished, I would easily have a jacket or coat for every season!

My Kelly Anorak always gets love

Still a fan of Moto jackets
For my Make Nine, I have excluded cardigans.  I am not sure if cardigans (by definition) fit into the Outerwear category, but I just wanted to be clear since I sew a lot of them.  I also wanted something that would push me a bit, and cause me to organize my time, because fitting nine items into twelve months only leaves a month and a few weeks per item (yes, Math nerd here, lol).  For the patterned blocks pictured above, I still have two additional choices to make.  I am considering a beautiful trench style jacket from a La Maison Victor magazine I bought a few months ago.  I am also torn on a nice utility jacket. Perhaps Simplicity 8700, or another Kelly Anorak in the View with the collar, since I already have the pattern.  Who knows, I may be open to the idea of throwing a vest in, since I only have one of those in my closet right now. We shall see!

So my second goal is to participate in the Make Nine challenge by sewing nine outerwear pieces, not counting cardigans.

Overall, I am so pumped to enter a new decade!!!  Thank you all for hanging in there with me, and coming along on my sewing journey.  This blog is not only about me and all the things I make or don't make.  It is about learning from each other.  I hope that each post you find something that you can take with you on your own journey, or maybe share with someone else.

Here's to 2020!

Stay sew-filled!

12 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!!!!!

    I love the idea of including a vest or even a cardigan of a heavier fabric since you're in a mild climate. Sort of on the same lines as the denim jacket. It's such a great plan.

    Thanks for the link to the style posts! I'm always contemplating my style choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KS! Your style is always on point--yet it doesn't hurt to see more options, lol! Happy New Year to you as well!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Vanessa. I love your idea about choosing nine things to sew that you've always wanted to sew. That's brilliant, and what a great way to add new outerwear to your wardrobe. That should be fun. I am so impressed with your ready-to-wear fast and how long you've done it. That's amazing. It must feel great to look in your closet and know that you've made most things in there. Goals!!!! :) Have a great new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey lady! My closet is officially 90% handmade in any given season, and it still blows my mind!! I am looking forward to seeing how this year shapes my wardrobe, and I thank you for your kind comment. Happy New Year to you--can't wait to see what you create on your lovely channel!

      Delete
  3. I will be following along to see how your wardrobe plan for 2020 progresses! And I can see why you picked outerwear for your Make 9 challenge: you clearly enjoy sewing outerwear :-) I wasn't too successful completely my Make 9 for 2019: I surely knit and sewed alot, but in making the specific patterns I chose I fell short. Contemplating a couple of the sewing/knitting challenges that have been posted for this year instead. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love Outerwear!! Thanks for your input on the Make Nine challenge--I hope to at least complete a few garments. I hope you find a challenge that suits you better for the year. I will be following along to see what you choose!

      Delete
  4. Hi there! I'm so happy to see you're back and making plans to blog more this year! I've enjoyed seeing your progress and makes and was sad when I thought we lost you to IG. I don't do any social media, so reading blogs and watching YT is my way of staying connected to those who sew.
    You might want to check out TomKatStitchery on YT, she uses the capsule module method from another YT'er Christie Ressel which may be along the same lines as what you're going to do - style-wise.
    And if I could say "no" and stop sewing for others, I might actually be able to get something sewn for myself! You inspired me with your RTW fast!
    Think I'll try the Make Nine challenge also; I could sure use lots of new makes for myself.
    Happy New Year's to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lesley! I appreciate your happiness at seeing me back. I like IG, but definitely love the blog format a lot better! I am a subscriber of TomKatStitchery on YT, and sewed a summer wardrobe inspired by Christine Ressel's method recently. I love her channel! Through doing my summer capsule I found that I wanted more "hand-holding" in putting all the pieces together, and that is why I am trying this new method for the year.

      I love that there are so many great options and challenges for everyone to choose from, and I hope the Make Nine is right for you. I think it is awesome that you sew lots for others! Maybe you will get a few things in there for yourself too ;)

      Delete
    2. Ooooh! I just checked out Get Your Pretty On and I think that's up my alley too! I need all the help I can get with putting together outfits and styling. I think this might work for me too! So glad you found this and posted it! Thanks again!

      Delete
    3. That's wonderful Lesley! I hope it suits you well!

      Delete
  5. The outerwear make nine is such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are back to sewing!!! I like you ran out of steam and mojo for sewing at year end. I am feeling more like sewing again. I too want to blog more as that had dropped off also. Good luck with your make nine garments, I look forward to seeing them as completed!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!