Tuesday, October 16, 2018

S8383 Version #2

Hello everyone!

There is so much Fall sewing inspiration around, I don't even know where to begin!  I have been slowly figuring out what I want to sew, and treasuring the opportunity to do what I love--LAYER!  Yes!  I love to layer clothing.  While I appreciate a lovely summer dress that catches the breeze, I also like a top, pants, and jacket/vest/cardigan combination too.

In fact, I got to sew with one of my besties this past weekend, and we had this exact conversation.  There are so many layering combinations in our heads, but our sewing productivity just does NOT match all the things we want to make (per usual).  So, I realize I am going to have to be a bit more strategic about my sewing choices, so I can maximize my Fall wardrobe.

And I really need Fall wardrobe help.  Here's what is going on: last year when I decided to sign up for the RTW Fast, I made sure I could at least make it through Spring and Summer with the clothing I had before I needed to really be productive.  I donated lots of my Fall items from last year, and knew I would easily be able to replace any holes in my wardrobe.  Well, here we are in Fall, and I need to sew! LOL!  Either that, or I'm going to be in a real bind!

Thankfully, I did finish another version of Simplicity 8383:


This version is made from a beautiful, jewel-toned jersey knit from Fine Fabrics.  I love the leopard print that is mixed in with it, and the cold-shoulder trend is apparently still "in."  Not that it matters, because I love a good cold shoulder sleeve any day!  Again, this is a size 12 throughout, with a forward shoulder adjustment of approximately 1/2."


And speaking of pattern adjustments, I have done a forward shoulder adjustment on so many of my garments, that I don't even make the adjustment to my paper pattern unless it becomes a TNT.  For instance, I just eyeball the removal to the front, and add the same amount to the back shoulder seam while I am cutting out my fabric. It works every time! I believe in shortcuts as long as the integrity of my garment is not compromised (wink, wink).


Overall, this is a quick, easy, and satisfying sew.  It is very beginner friendly, and one you can make again and again. You can read about my first version here, if you missed it.

For now I have decided to concentrate on sewing basics until that need is filled.  I have already finished a pair of leggings, and a top, and hope to be back with those soon...as well as other things!  My hope is that your Fall sewing is off to a great start!

Stay sew filled!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Vanessa! Good luck with your fall sewing. My advice would be to 1) prioritise the most versatile items and 2) to batch sew a series of knit shirts/sweaters/pullovers. And 'chunk' the project so even if you've only got 5 minutes to sew, you can use those 5 minutes to get 1 step down, or the next step prepped, so the next time you've got more than 5 minutes available, something's ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your advice Anna! I agree with prioritizing, and I think that batch sewing will work wonderfully for a pattern I have in mind!

      Delete
  2. I love the outfit!! The dress goes well with the black leggings. I love to layer clothing, and would love to wear a bright-colored dress (like yours) with a jacket for the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eli! There are so many layering options that look good!

      Delete
  3. This looks great! The fabric is a lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your fabric! This looks good with the leggings. It has turned cooler where I live now and I need to get sewing on some tops for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Linda! I bet your Fall lineup of tops will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fabric too, beautiful top and it looks perfect with the leggings 💕 I'm setting up my plans for fall/winter sewing and hope to have time for all. Happy sewing ❤

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!