Wednesday, September 5, 2018

August Recap and Sept. Plans

Hello everyone, and Hello September!

I am a bit elated to share my August Recap today because...it has been a while since I had garments to share!! 

Overall, August was a busy time with school starting back for my kids, and activities related to that (such as curriculum night, homework, extracurricular activities, etc.)  I am grateful that these pieces all got done in the midst of transitioning back to a more regular schedule:

From the top left to bottom right: Tiny Toes Ottobre baby outfit, Isla dress, and Kalle tunic 

I really love everything I made, but my favorite part of the month has to be the Kalle shirts.  For the striped blue tunic, it took me one week to make it.  However, the orange swallow version only took three nights of sewing!  I imagine it is because I had more of an idea what I was doing, but I admit I have never gotten something done as quickly as that.  Maybe one day I can get everything done in an evening??? A girl can dream right...  I know there are some of you out there that do, lol!

The Isla dress was my fun garment to make, and I will do a separate post of that one soon.  

September Plans

Before I reveal all of the things I am thinking about for September, I have some wonderful news to share that affects my sewing plans--I got a part-time job!!!  I will be working a couple of days a week as a teacher at a preschool.  It is so dear to my heart, and lines up with my passion for little ones.  I am starting in the under 2 room, with hopes of advancing from there.  The hours allow me to still be available for my own children so it is a great fit for all.

That said, I spent last week working and preparing our classroom.  And in the middle of that, I realized that I am not exactly sure what I will be wearing!!!  The dress code is dressy casual, and jeans are allowed as long as they are not ripped, faded, etc.  Leggings are allowed under dresses, but not with a top that is cropped.  So, I will have to do some evaluating of my closet.  I would love to wear dresses most days, yet I am uncertain how that would affect my mobility with such little ones in the classroom.  I think I need more nice pants!!!!!

Keeping all of that in mind, here is what I am aiming for...

I will be dedicating one week to working on a few unfinished items I never got to in August.  There is a woven top, denim shorts, and a button up shirt dress that could easily be finished with a little devotion of my time.

So, a couple of days ago I went to Gail K. and shopped their out-of print/discard sewing patterns for $1.00.  I found two gems that I want to make right away:


I am really loving both versions of the wide leg pants.  The dark blue version is a gaucho pants with a pleat feature in the front.  The light blue version is also shown on the model, and looks so tailored and pretty.  Out of the two, I think I am leaning toward the gaucho pants because they scare me.  Not the construction, but the style.  I love sewing in my comfort zone, but each month I am working to pick at least one thing that allows me to explore something new.  It may work, it may not.  But, at least I had the courage to try. Who knows, maybe I will even try both versions!! 

The other OOP pattern is Simplicity 8966, a 2 hour dress:


I love these dress options!  As soon as I saw it, the V-neckline drew me in immediately.  It usually works so well for my frame.  So, View B is what I want to sew.  I also like the way the seaming is dropped well below the waistline.  Perhaps I could achieve this effect with something I have already, but sometimes I like not having to guess.  The dress on the far right with the big pockets (View A) is also a favorite view.  I would love to know if it really comes together in two hours of sewing time.  When I put this to the test, I will let you all know! 

I also recently visited Fine Fabrics with one of my best friends. I have been wanting to sew her a dress as a birthday gift from me, and I wanted her to be in on choosing the fabric.  She has always said that she liked the dresses I sewed, so we decided the Isla would be perfect for her. 

Here is her chosen fabric:


I am a little nervous because I will be doing a full bust adjustment for the FIRST time!  I like learning new things, though, and she has a wonderful personality.  She told me she would wear it no matter what.  I love that!

Next,  I really, really, really want to make a jumpsuit!!  I had good intentions to sew one earlier this summer, but those intentions have been delayed.  I think I own three jumpsuit patterns, but Simplicity 8178 is my favorite:


My goal is to sew this entire look.  I love the little jacket, and think it would transition beautifully into Fall, and with other things. While searching for finished versions, I found a Youtube tutorial by Brittany J. Jones here. I will definitely check that out!  Her version looks great!

And, last but not least, I want to finish this Ottobre sleeveless blouse that I started (left):


I got on a roll until I got to the part where I have to make the button loops.  Turning such a tiny length of fabric was horrifying!! I couldn't find my loop turner, and even tried a few other methods on Youtube to no avail.  I think it will go much smoother once I get past this part.  At least I hope so.

And now I am off to work on all these plans!  I will check back in with my second Isla dress and update you on how the unfinished items are going in my next post.

Stay sew-filled! 






8 comments:

  1. How exciting to be able to plan a new handmade wardrobe for your new job! Your August makes are all lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am seeing loads of cardigans in my future, lol!

      Delete
  2. Since you've YT methods you've probably seen the bobby pin method...my loop turner is usually best but when I had to turn tubes in that Ankara, the bobby pin won!

    Great month and can't wait to see your new jumpsuit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see the bobby pin method, and I do remember you mentioned that in your post. I will definitely try that! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Hey Mrs. Thomas, I sent you a thread chain Instagram message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have great sewing plans for September! Can't wait to see the finished garments.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!