Friday, January 19, 2018

Butterick 6526 Crossover Knit

Hello everyone!

I finished my FIRST garment for 2018!


In true "mom" style, my photos are in my kids' playroom today--mostly because it was the room with the best light!

It has been an interesting week at our household, with more SNOW in Georgia (don't worry, it has melted already)! But my kids were out of school for two days, so I spent a lot of my time helping them with online assignments.  Somewhere in the midst of all of our time together, I got a few sewing sessions in, and I am here to talk about my re-do of Butterick 6526.

It is a "close-fitting pullover top with a shaped hemline."  For my second version, I sewed a size 12 without any adjustments, though I still wouldn't call this top close-fitting.


In hindsight, my only change for a future version would be to add an inch of length.  Right at the bottom center front where the fabric intersects is the place where I wish it was longer.  I tried this top with a tank underneath it, but it bunches in a weird way.

For construction, there are only 3 pattern pieces.  You end up having a total of 4 pieces with the sleeves included.  Sounds easy, right?  Well, the front pieces are cut on the bias, and therein lies my issue with this pattern.


The instructions are very easy to follow, though I did get a little turned around on one of the illustrations.  Other than that, this top is nothing difficult to assemble, just make sure to mark appropriately, and differentiate between right and wrong sides because it can get a little confusing with the shape of the garment pieces.

My fabric choice for this top is a lovely sweater knit from a new-to-me source, Michael Levine.  I was super pleased when it came in the mail, and I LOVE the way everything was packaged and labeled.  I will definitely order from them again!


Overall, this is an o.k. top that I will wear for now.  It is not what I had in mind, and I will not be revisiting it for a third time, lol!


ONE garment down, NINE more to go!!!

Up next I am working on finishing my Sewaholic Renfrew top, and completing the fit on my pants sloper.  It has been a busy month, and I can't believe there is still more of January left!  I will check in next week with an update.


Stay sew-filled!

9 comments:

  1. The top does look nice on you and I love your fabric choice. I did purchase that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I can see how you'd like a little extra length.....it looks longer on the patten photo. This color is great on you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable, and the color looks great on you. How do you like the Renfrew? Its one of my go to patterns, and have made several.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely top! The fabric is so beautiful and the color suits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's quite lovely. I love the colour and it looks great with your jeans. I like the new blog look too. You have been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great color, fit, and pairing with the jeans! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous! The colour and style really suit you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that color on you! We got snow and it melted too! But I did enjoy a couple of snow days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this top on you and agree, it’s definitely not close-fitting! (But very pretty!) The renfro top is a very nice pattern...I made it once (don’t know why I didn’t make it again!) I think you will like it. Also, Michael Levine is one of my FAVORITE online fabric stores!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!