Saturday, February 13, 2016

February project announced!

Hi everyone!

It's good to be sewing again!  Thank you for the nice comments about the tunic I sewed in my last blog post.  I thoroughly enjoyed wearing it!

I know we are almost halfway into the month of February, but I am still excited to be starting my February project. In the Make a Garment a Month FB group, the theme for this month is called "Freaky February." So, I am tasked with creating a garment that scares me.  Basically, one that I haven't done due to fear. Yes, I am facing my sewing fears!!!!!

What is my sewing fear? Definitely pants!

I find pants to be daunting. I have started and stopped a pair quite a few times, but haven't finished any ever.  Even as I look at the types of clothing I have sewn, I see a pattern of tops. Yes, tops, tops, and more TOPS!  The only things I have sewn for my bottom half are a few skirts.

So, here is my plan for February:


I will be sewing activewear for the first time ever! I workout a lot (5 days a week), and need some more workout pants that are cute.  I could definitely go to the store and buy some on clearance, but I thought this would be a good opportunity to create a garment I need, while tackling something I hate: fitting my bottom half. I figure the stretch will work to my advantage, and allow me to get a decent fit.

I have chosen a pretty teal/purple double knit print and a jet black techno knit as my coordinating fabrics.

I have also noticed that Patternreview is running an activewear contest right now! I would have LOVED to join, but I don't think I will finish this in time. But if I do....YOU KNOW! Ha, ha! I would enter their contest in a heartbeat.

So, off I go!  My aim is to finish this month strong so I can have more time for the March theme.

Stay sew-filled!

5 comments:

  1. Goodluck with your project, Vanessa. I'm also yet to make pants. I've made plenty of tops and dresses. It's great to challenge yourself. I think you'll do well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you back in the sewing saddle again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I can relate! Especially when the creative spark is flowing. I have faith you can do it. Sometime I don't get home until 10 pm and I wonder if I will be able to get even the smallest things done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stylish active wear can be easy to sew and a wardrobe staple. Looking forward to seeing your make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and I have been on the same wavelength! I have been making tops and more tops for myself. I've made a couple of skirts. And I have a pant muslin that has been sitting in my sewing room for a very long time. Best of luck with your project - I am sure it will be great.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!