Hopefully you haven't forgotten to "spring forward," or set your clocks ahead by one hour. I love that it is March, and spring weather has definitely started to show in these parts!
Now, in my last post, I talked about starting the muslin for my Sabrina Slims pants. Well, I printed out the online pattern, but have not started it yet. I had to take a pause from my scheduled plan in order to celebrate a friend! My dear friend is expecting a little girl in April, and I wanted to create something special for her baby shower.
Little did I know how much work this would entail!!!!!! The first thing I sewed was a set of burp cloths. I got the idea from a co-worker who told me the BEST burp cloths she ever had for her babies were ones she received that were made from cloth diapers. I did some Pinterest digging, and finally found these:
The thing I loved most about this project was this: all I needed was a pack of cloth diapers, and some fat quarters (small cuts of fabric would do well too)!!!!! I already had some girl-friendly fabrics, so I used them and came up with these:
Overall, these were super easy to make, and absolutely cute to boot!! I will be making more for my own son, in a marine-colored array of fabrics. I ended up using cardstock to create my own template for the trim, so I have gotten to the point where I can really crank them out now. They are definitely an excellent gift idea for any new expecting mom.
For the second part of my gift creation, I KNEW I wanted to make an outfit of some sort. I scoured the Internet for FREE patterns, and finally found The Little Geranium Dress, from Made by Rae. It's a free newborn dress pattern that you can download and sew, sized for 0-3 months.
I decided to just go to bed, and begin again in the morning. I am glad I did!! I woke up, refreshed, and ready to tackle the issue. I decided to just re-cut it and sew the whole thing over. That's when I noticed I had ironed my interfacing on incorrectly the day before. Because the fabric wasn't stable, it is what caused the wonky buttonhole stitches! Aha! So, I corrected the issue, and three perfect buttonholes later, I finished an "AH-MAZING" newborn dress with an equally gorgeous knotted headband!
The fabric is a cotton knit from Hobby Lobby. It is stable, and easy to sew. The headband is by Coral and Co. , and you can find it here. Little girls obviously have to coordinate, so it only made sense to add one in.
Now that I took my pause, I am ready to continue with the Sabrina Slims. On to the muslin and fitting for NEXT week!