Saturday, March 2, 2019

My current situation

Hello everyone!

I hope you are well!

This week has been a whirlwind for me, so I apologize that I haven't checked in with you to show you my finished M7912.  It has been finished since Sunday, but I had a few things throw my blogging timeline off.  Here is a recent photo:


I am so excited to show you all the final look, and am sad that it will have to wait a few more days (details to follow).  Thank you for your patience, and I appreciate your support and comments from my last post!!  

I would love to let you know the story behind some of my delay:

Last weekend we had a company come investigate a leak in our kitchen, only to uncover mold.  The leak has been ongoing for who knows how long, and it was also the type that would have remained unseen to our eyes if our bottom cabinetry had not started to breakdown.  Needless to say, our family moved out of our home to stay with relatives until our insurance company could place us in a rental home.

And on Friday our prayers were answered for a place to stay until our kitchen can be renovated!! Thank you Lord!  


So this will be my sewing situation for the next month or so.  Yes, you know I brought my machines and gear so I can continue to keep up with my craft!! Besides, I have so many things planned for all of you and I didn't want to go on hiatus now. As soon as we walked into the home, there was a lovely small table in the corner of one of the rooms.  I feel like it was put there for me, lol!  I mean, I know it wasn't, but I FEEL like it was.  I am so grateful!

You see, my other hindrance to posting was a small health issue.  About 8 years ago I used to break out in hives at random times.  It happened so often that I finally began to connect my diet and make BIG changes.  Those changes helped me to avoid "contact dermatitis" until this week.  So, at this moment, I am nursing a red, angry, bumpy rash that encompasses the area around my mouth.  I am on medication, and hope to be closer to normal soon, but I am still pretty itchy and unsightly.  And yes I love ya'll, but not enough to get on camera looking like this, lol!!!  

Hopefully this will be my last bout with dermatitis; if not, I will have to undergo patch testing to determine the root cause of my condition, and I am not looking forward to that.  

Though this week put my family to the test, day by day we have been making it through.  I appreciate your patience during this time as I figure out how to process our new normal.  

I hope to be back soon!

Stay sew filled!





5 comments:

  1. OH NO!!!! What a rough week!! I hope there are no lasting effects from the mold and that you have full remediation.

    Health issues are just never fun and dermatitis is especially irritating (no pun intended!).

    Take care and feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! The mold exposure was small, and we don't have any effects to speak of. Best wishes to you as you heal too!

      Delete
  2. Ugh, mold! I'm glad to hear your insurance is helping out with a place to stay in the interim, and I hope the work goes by quickly and you're home soon! I'm sure having a portable sewing station will help you stay sane. And best of luck with your health, too. Hope to see you back modelling soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The portable station has been immensely helpful. So glad we can sew just about anywhere, lol!

      Delete
  3. After 30 years in our previous home out in suburbia where we experienced lots of very unfun leak situations over the years we downsized to a condo loft a couple years ago. I immediately began setting up a system of leak sensors - as I'd done at our old home as the technology emerged for home use - the original version I'd set up in our basement had a "dialer" that plugged into a landline which triggered an automated voice to call my cell automatically if any of the sprawling cables with a sensor on each end projecting like a spiderweb to all the likeliest sources - water heater/sump pump pits/etc detected any moisture.

    Currently I use a combination of the wifi sensors that will notify you if you are out of town and the type that simply squeal loudly - cheap and effective - if you are home to hear them. I place sensors on top of a paper towel (to extend the active coverage area) and also tape a few pennies on top of the sensor to add enough weight to keep it flush with the surface. While initially trying a couple of the "local only" siren emitting sensors under our kitchen sink to see how far the sound would transmit one went off just a few minutes after I set it in position. Assuming it was defective since I'd just set the thing up I retrieved it and found the paper towel it was resting on was damp. This sensor was on the wood floor behind our kitchen sink - I'd placed another on the floor of the cabinet but it was dry.

    It took me quite a while lying there under that sink with my flashlight examining all the potential sources - the connections on the PVC drainage pipes - the hot and cold water connections - the sink itself - but I found nothing. Finally while trying to reposition the large loop of pullout faucet hose that kept hitting me in the face and blocking my view as I meticulously inspected all the water connections - holding a paper towel tightly around each connection area for a few seconds to try to detect any moisture - I realized that the plastic pullout faucet HOSE had a small leak which was not visible since the plastic hose is encased inside a tube of metal sheathing which lets them slide in and out of the faucet end smoothly. It was probably right at the area of stress where it makes a 180 degree turn at the bottom of the loop.

    Because our cabinets do not extend to the wall behind them the faucet's hose hangs over the narrow area of open flooring behind the cabinet instead of over the cabinet floor where a leak would have been noticed quickly as it dripped onto the paper bags/boxes of scouring pads etc sitting on the cabinet floor.

    Who knows when it would have been discovered if I hadn't tried testing those inexpensive little water detectors - probably after it had destroyed the bamboo flooring tand starting leaking into the condo below ours. Cheap insurance!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!