Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Mccalls 7912

Hello everyone!

I cannot tell you how good it feels to be back today!  A few days of rest, healing and recuperation has done so GOOD! My hives have subsided, things are moving along with the renovation of our kitchen, and I am slowly finding a routine and rhythm for my family and me. 

Better yet, today is the day I can show you Mccalls 7912 and give you a review!




I absolutely love this vest version!!! Don't get me wrong, I think all the versions for this pattern are winners, yet I think I really needed this vest.  I didn't know I needed it, but the final results proved me wrong.  I am surely grateful to add this piece to my wardrobe!

I made View B in a size S, and graded to the M at the hipline.  I also lengthened the vest 1" for my longer torso, and did a 3/8" forward shoulder adjustment.  For fabric, I used a mystery woven in my stash that I purchased from Boho Fabrics about a month or two ago.  It came as a part of a mystery woven bundle, so I have no idea what the fabric content is, except that it is probably mid-heavy weight with a basketweave texture.  The color is a lovely cream blush that I thought would lend a classic feel to the vest.


My choice of fabric did become a little problematic as I was assembling the vest, since there was a lot of bulkiness to deal with when it came to the facings.  I serged the inside seams, and tried to eliminate bulkiness wherever I could.  I am happy with the end result of my affectionately named "coat vest."  


I really like the way the inside front facing and hem finish off for the vest.  I was able to handsew the hem to a mostly invisible stitch on the right side, so I was proud of that!  


The facings are hand sewn into the shoulder seam, and I somehow ended up with pieces that were a little short.  I was really maneuvering my pattern pieces around when I cut them out, so I think that had something to do with it.  So, I serged the edges to prevent raveling and then hand sewed the facing in.  


The self fabric belt is such a necessity, and I almost thought it would not happen.  I usually order all of my fabric cuts as 2 yards because I can mostly make a garment of that amount unless the project is more intensive.  So when I need to use more than that amount, I start by changing my pattern layout and that usually works.  I think this vest required 2 1/8 yard with the tie belt, and I squeezed the whole thing out of 2 yards.  I am not sure I will make this common practice because it doesn't leave much room for error (actually no room for error), but since I didn't have access to any more of this fabric, I went for it!!

My final touches for this vest involved a few well placed tacks near the front so that my facing would not fly open.  Overall, this was a wonderful project, and I am so glad I made it!


I will be back Friday with my wrap-up of February, and some sewing plans for March.  

*In case you are looking for Mccalls' sewing patterns, Hobby Lobby has them on sale for $1.99 this week.  

Stay sew-filled!

15 comments:

  1. I love your finished coat vest! I really like the look of the fabric as well as the color! Thanks for update on patterns at Hobby Lobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda! It was one of those things that was going to be "hit or miss," and I am glad it is a hit! I wasn't too excited about the fabric when I saw it, but it does lend well to this pattern choice and I am happy about that. I hope you find some goodies at Hobby Lobby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute coat vest, Ms. Vanessa. The color and style make it a very versatile wardrobe garment. Finished beautifully inside and outside. Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Cennetta! I agree with it's versatility! And yes to feeling better!

      Delete
  4. Great looking vest and a great addition to your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mariela! It is a great style choice for any wardrobe, and I am excited to pair it with other things.

      Delete
  5. Looks really great,Vanessa! I love the color and the style is really chic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks really good and will be perfect for the transition of seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. แทงบอลออนไลน์ สโบเบท เกมเดิมพันออนไลน์ ที่มีความมั่นคงและความปลอดภัยเป็นอันดับหนึ่งและยังมีโปรโมชั่นและโบนัสดีๆ แทงบอลออนไลน์ ไม่มีขั้นต่ำให้นักเดิมพันได้ลุ้นรับตลอดการเข้าใช้บริการอีกด้วย

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!