Monday, April 5, 2021

Spring Break Sewing

 Hello everyone!

It was my hope to show you a completed Frugal Frocks dress, but I had a few challenges that caused me to push the challenge aside.  To keep it short, I couldn't work out the printer settings, and underestimated the time I had. While I didn't get a chance to finish, I am ready to move forward in my Spring sewing plans:


Starting this week, I am on SPRING BREAK with my kids!!!!!!! I cannot tell you the level of excitement I have!  I plan on diving headfirst into my Spring sewing projects in the spirit of a "Sewathon."  This is my own personal mission I have set before myself, and it is simple:  I want to sew as many items on my Spring sewing list as I possibly can.

My small goals are to work on finishing an item a day and/or prepping an item a day.  I am not sure that I have ever sewn five items in a week before, but I am willing to try.  All of these patterns are new-to-me, with a slight exception of the Itch to Stitch Seychelles top.  I made the long-sleeved version before so I am confident the short-sleeved version should fit without lots of adjustments.

Here are some additional things to note about what I have chosen:

Burda Trousers--I really would like to sew a pair of pants.  I need a pair, and I enjoy pants construction.  These caught my eye from a Burdastyle magazine in my stash from 2009(?).  They look so amazing!  But...I do not look forward to making adjustments to these, and I know I will have to.  I have NEVER sewn a pair of Burda pants before, so I am so unsure of the fit.  I will use my Ginger jeans pattern to compare where I can and hope for the best.  I am wanting to sew these in a cream cotton blend.

Ottobre Top--I love this square neckline, and am especially interesting in creating it.  I know this pattern will need to be traced and prepped before I can begin sewing, which will take some time.  

Verna Top--This will be my first time working with a Simply Sewing pattern.  It comes in UK sizes, so I am unfamiliar what fitting adjustments I will need to make.  The style is so cute, and I just love the sleeve ties!  I plan on using a rayon print for this one.

Mccalls 8067--I chose this one because I figured it would be an easy button front shirt! The version I like is collarless, and doesn't have a back yoke.  If it proves to be quick, I may also sew the version with a collar too.  I am considering a solid cotton blend for this shirt.

I will be taking photos as I sew, and will try to check in every couple of days for an update.  It should be noted that I am still caring for my children while on break, so my expectations are reasonable.  I am not keen on my household falling apart while I sit in a room and sew, lol!  In fact, while my older two are getting to the age where time with me is not as wanted, my youngest is still very much under tow. So, this is a mission I accept with all the pressures of real life as a Wife and Mom. 

Won't you come along with me and see how I do? 

Stay sew-filled!




2 comments:

  1. I'm on spring break right now too! (I'm a teacher.) I decided to just try to cut out as many projects as I can and then get to sewing. That way, if I haven't finished by the time I go back (probably won't!), I can just sew a little bit here and there after work or on the weekends. The cutting out is always the most daunting to me. So, I have cut out a blazer, a pair of overalls, and a pair of pants. My goal is to cut out two more tops. Good luck and enjoy your time off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are on a roll Natasha!!! Isn’t it such a great way to spend the break? I hope you enjoy yourself, and best wishes to a fellow teacher on finishing the year well!

      Delete

Let me know what you think!